Thomas Shaw built this eight-room Greek Revival house in 1843. Located originally at 38275 Six Mile Road, west of Newburgh Road, it was moved to Quaker Acres, on Seven Mile Road, west of Farmington Road, when construction of interstate highway 275 began in 1973.
An unusual feature of this building is the staircase. This steep winding staircase, with 12 steps, is 57 inches wide and only 53 inches deep.
The Shaw family, who came to Livonia Township from Wysall, England in 1836, lived in a log cabin until construction of this building was completed.
After Thomas Shaw’s death in 1844, his son, John Shaw, lived in the house until 1904. The family sold the property after his death in 1916.